The New York State Sheriffs’ Institute provides the only statewide training programs for Sheriffs’ civil personnel in the State of New York.
Our schools include a two-week training program for entry level deputy sheriffs and civilian personnel working in Sheriffs’ civil divisions; a one-week training for supervisory personnel in those divisions, one-day “refresher” courses, and one-day training programs for Sheriffs and Undersheriffs.
- Introduction to civil process
- Service of process
- Service and enforcement of income and property executions
- Service and enforcement of eviction warrants
- Service and enforcement of arrest warrants
- Service of Family Court process
- Sales of personal and real property to satisfy judgments
- Service and enforcement of provisional remedies including orders of attachment and orders of seizure
- Calculation of Sheriffs’ fees
- Accounting and bookkeeping practices for Sheriffs’ civil office personnel
- Legal liability for improper collection or remission of fees collected by the Sheriff’s Office
- Supervisory control of civil division matters
- Development of supervisory policies and procedures for all civil division matters needed by civil division chiefs
- Development and review of supervisory materials needed by Undersheriffs and Sheriff